Saturday, May 19, 2012

The End


Wow. That’s really the only word to describe my whirlwind of a life lately. What an incredible adventure these past few months have been & I feel so lucky to have had opportunity to go on this journey. As sad I am to be leaving bella Roma, I know this won’t be my last globe-trotting escapade. I hoped this little four-month stint would cure my travel bug but it’s only gotten worse!

 I've learned so many important lessons on this invaluable adventure. I discovered that a watch is more than just a fashion statement and I am actually capable of (gasp!) reading a map! I’ve learned how to pack the bare minimum because when you’re carrying every single pound on your back for a week throughout Spain, it adds up fast. I’ve realized that getting lost is okay, and that sometimes the best experiences are those that you stumble upon. One of the most important lessons that I’ve come to recognize is that branching out on your own isn’t scary, lonely or humiliating. I had some of the best experiences of my life when I was traveling solo. I got the chance to eat, sleep and discover what I wanted, where I wanted and when I wanted. The time I spent exploring by myself was a great opportunity for a little self reflection and you become a heck of a lot more approachable to meet new people when you aren’t traveling with a herd of six girls. I think that this experience has helped me to accept whatever the universe gives me instead of stressing and overthinking the details. The busses aren’t running? Well at least everyone else is going to be late, too. I missed my train? Good thing that wasn’t the only one running today. My psycho ex roommate broke the lock to get into my room in East Lansing while I was gone? Well, things are replaceable. As Dr. Jill put it, “you’re still Type A, just a lot less Type A…” Thanks, Mom.

I’ve also really appreciated the effort from my friends and family to stay in touch… Cards, emails, packages, visits and weekly Skype calls kept me from getting homesick and for that I am so grateful. I’m feeling bittersweet about leaving this incredible place but the end of one adventure is the beginning of another & I am so excited to meet my fellow tadpoles in Chicago this weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment